Monday, August 16, 2004

Welcome home

I'm staying with Jane(Estonian), Ola (Polish) and Roger (Norwegian) now in Athens. They are cool people. Jane is the 2nd cool Estonian girl I met, besides Pille.
In the morning, I got my Badminton ticket in Alpha Bank then headed to the Plaka, an old city in Athens. I'm so happy today as I saved around 20 Euro for the entrance fees to Acropolis, Roman Agora and the Temple of Zeus ( Learnt this from KWL...hehehe). Moreover, I have free ride for the public transportation in Athens.
Basically, most of the must-see sites are Ruins. Some are still under restoration.
I also visited Parliament in Athens, the birthplace of the concept of democracy. I was lucky that I saw the changing of guards ceromonial in front of the Parliament building at Syntagma Square or Constitution Square. Those guards are soldiers, whose belong to the "Proedriki Froura", the guards of the President of Democracy.
Athens is definitely well-prepared for the 28th Olympiad. It is so easy to roam around Athens during Olympic. Thousand of Volunteers are in every corner of the city to assist you. There are a whole lot of "May I Help You" Information Kiosks which offer city Maps and everything about the games. Newly built Metro eases the access. Personnel from 24hours toll free Olympic Inforline are so effiecient and friendly (I spent more than 30 minutes to query about Malaysia athletes and results related).
Welcome home to the birthplace of the Olympic Games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home